On behalf of Antibiotic Research UK we would like to thank you for your support in 2015 and look forward to you continuing to support us in 2016. This year has been a year of great achievement for Antibiotic Research UK and we list the top ten highlights below;
- We have raised over £300,000 towards funding our innovative research programme to develop one new antibiotic therapy by the early 2020’s
- We have developed our research strategy including our first project on Antibiotic Resistance Breakers
- Greg Beckett ran the New York City marathon and raised over £600 for us
- Ben Blackwell ran the Rock Solid Run in Milton Keynes and got extremely muddy!
- The charity was chosen by the BIA to be their charity of the year and over £23,000 was raised at their Gala Dinner at the Natural History Museum in London
- The newly elected MP for Morley and Outwood, Andrea Jenkyns, whose father died from an antibiotic resistant infection, endorsed us
- We organised the Great British Tea Party on European Antibiotic Awareness Day on the 18 November; please put 18 November 2016 in your diary for next year’s Great British Tea Party
- We had a lot of media coverage during the year including being on the BBC News, Sky, ITV, Channel and multiple national and local radio slots – our Press Releases can be seen at https://www.antibioticresearch.org.uk/press-releases/
- We published, in collaboration with Exasol AG, heat maps of antibiotic prescribing patterns throughout England (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-34790038) (no other regions of the UK have the same prescribing information) and finally
- The Archbishop of York agreed to become our Patron
You can find much more about what we do by visiting www.antibioticresearch.org.uk. Please tell your friends, relations and colleagues about us and how we are tackling superbugs which threaten modern medicine. Sign up to givingabit (https://www.givingabit.com/content/98/forgetmenot-safari) so that when you make online purchases we get a percentage and please don’t forget to donate this Christmas.